1. Sivan S, Lotan N. A biochemical logic gate using an enzyme and its inhibitor.1. The inhibitor as switching element. Biotechnol Prog (1999) 15(6):964-70. (Invited paper).
2. Sivan S., Lotan N. Molecular Engineering of Proteins with Predefined Function: Part I: Design of hemoglobin-based oxygen carrier. Biomol Eng (2003) 20(3):83-90.
3. Sivan S, Lotan N. A biochemical logic gate using an enzyme and its inhibitor. 2. The logic gate. BioSystems (2003) 70(1):21-33.
4. Filo O, Guzy S, Sivan S, Sideman S, Lotan N. Process analysis of a reactor-separator system: enzymic degradation of polymeric substrates. Isr J Chem (2005) 45(4):495-505.
5. Sivan S, Neidlinger-Wilke C, Wurz K, Maroudas A, Urban JPG. Diurnal fluid expression and activity in intervertebral disc cells. Biorheology (2006) 43(3-4):283-291. (Invited Review).
6. Sivan S, Wachtel E, Merkher Y, Maroudas A. Correlation of swelling pressure and intra- fibrillar water in young and aged annuli of human intervertebral discs. J Orthop Res (2006) 24(6):1292-8.
7. Sivan S, Tsitron E, Wachtel E, Roughley P, Sakkee AN, van-der Ham F, DeGroot J, Roberts S, Maroudas A. Aggrecan turnover in human intervertebral disc as determined by the racemization of aspartic acid. J Biol Chem (2006) 281(19):13009-14.
8. Merkher Y, Sivan S, Etsion I, Maroudas A, Halperin G, Yosef A. A rational human joint friction test using a human cartilage-on-cartilage arrangement. Tribol Lett (2006) 22(1):29-36.
9. Sivan S, Tsitron E, Wachtel E, Roughley P, Sakkee N, van der Ham F, DeGroot J, Merkher Y, Maroudas A. Age-related accumulation of pentosidine in aggrecan and collagen from human intervertebral disc. Biochem J (2006) 398(1):29-35.
10. Johnson WEB, Sivan S, Wright KT, Eisenstein SM, Maroudas A, Roberts S. Human intervertebral disc cells promote nerve growth over substrata of human intervertebral disc aggrecan. Spine (2006) 31(11):1187-93. (Invited paper).
11. Sivan S, Filo O, Siegelmann H. Application of expert networks for predicting proteins secondary structure. Biomol Eng (2007) 24(2):237-43.
12. Schroeder Y, Sivan S, Wilson W, Huyghe JM, Merkher Y, Maroudas A. Baaijens FPT. Are disc pressure, stress and osmolarity affected by intra- and extrafibrillar fluid exchange? J Orthop Res(2007) 25(10):1317-43.
13. Sivan S, Wachtel E, Tsitron E, Sakkee AN, van-der Ham F, DeGroot J, Maroudas A. Collagen turnover in healthy and pathological human intervertebral disc as determined by the racemization of aspartic acid. J Biol Chem (2008) 283(14):8796-801.
14. Roberts S, Menage J, Sivan S, Urban JPG. Bovine explant model of degeneration of the intervertebral disc. BMC Musculoskelet Disord (2008) 9(1):24.
15. Sivan S, Schroeder A, Verberne G, Merkher Y, Diminsky D, Priev A, Maroudas A, Halperin G, Nitzan D, Etsion I, Barenholz Y. Liposomes act as effective biolubricants for friction reduction in human synovial joints. Langmuir (2010) 26(2):1107-16.
16. Boubriak O, Watson N, Sivan S, Stubbens N, Lee RB, Urban JPG. Cell density of the intervertebral disc is regulated by blood supply. Int J Exp Path (2011) 92(6):A14-A15.
17. Sivan S, Merkher Y, Wachtel E, Van El B, Zuurmund AM, Schmeltzer C, Heinz, A, Varga PP, Lazary A, Brayda M, Maroudas A. Longevity of elastin in human intervertebral disc as probed by the racemization of aspartic acid. Biochim Biophys Acta (2012) 1820(10):1671-7.
18. Boubriak OA, Watson N, Sivan S, Stubbens N, Lee RB, Urban JPG. Factors regulating viable cell density in the intervertebral disc: blood supply in relation to disc height. J Anat (2013) 222(3):341-8.
19. Sivan S, Merkher Y, Wachtel E, Urban JPG, Lazary A, Maroudas A. A needle micro- osmometer for determination of glycosaminoglycan concentration in excised nucleus pulposus tissue. Eur Spine J (2013) 22(8):1765-73.
20. Ne’eman N, Marbach D, Chen-Konak L, Kaufman-Francis K, Berkovich M, Levenberg S, Lotan N, Sivan S. Multi-factor, sequentially releasing scaffolds for tissue engineering: Fabrication by the novel solvent/non-solvent sintering technology. Isr J Chem (2013) 53:821-8. (Invited paper).
21. Brayda-Bruno M, Tibiletti M, Ito K, Fairbank J, Galbusera F, Zerbi A, Roberts S, Wachtel E, Merkher Y, Sivan S. Advances in the diagnosis of degenerated discs and their possible clinical applications. Eur Spine J (2014) 3:315-23.
22. Sivan S, Hayes A, Wachtel E, Caterson B, Merkher Y, Brown S, Maroudas A., Roberts, S. Biochemical composition and turnover of the extracellular matrix of the normal and degenerate intervertebral disc. Eur Spine J (2014) 23(3):344-353.
23. Sivan S, Roberts S, Urban JP, Menage J, Bramhill J, Campbell D, Franklin V, Lydon F, Merkher Y, Maroudas A, Tighe B. Injectable hydrogels with high fixed charge density and swelling pressure for nucleus repair: biomimetic glycosaminoglycan analogues. Acta Biomater (2014) 10(3):1124-1133.
24. Alagem M, Kivovich E, Tzchori I, Falah M, Flugelman M, Lanir N, Beyar R, Lotan N, Sivan S. The formation of an anti-restenotic/anti thrombotic surface by immobilization of nitric oxide synthase. Acta Biomater (2014) 10(5):2304–2312.
25. Sivan S, Wachtel E, Roughley P. Structure, function, ageing and turnover of aggrecan in the intervertebral disc. Biochim Biophys Acta (2014) 1840(10):3181-3189.
26. Schmelzer CHE, Nagel M, Dziomba S, Merkher Y, Sivan S, Heinz A. Prolyl hydroxylation in elastin is not random. Biochim Biophys Acta (2016).
Technion – Israel Institute of Technology (M.Sc)
2012 Marie-Curie Prize for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
2011-2013 Marie-Curie Re-integration (ERG) Fellowship
2009 Spine Award in Regenerative Technologies for the Intervertebral Disc Biomaterial:
2009 Best New Technology. Sponsored by Orthopedics This Week
2006-2008 Marie-Curie Intra-European (IRG) Fellowship
1999-2000 Archie Micay Biomedical Research Fellowship
1998-1998 Forchheimer Foundation Fellowship
1995-1997 Leonard and Diane Sherman Research Fund Fellowship
1992-1995 Julius and Dorothy Harband Fund Fellowship
1991 Dean’s list, Faculty of Biology, Technion
Referring for Journals
2015-present Osteoarthritis and Cartilage
2013-present Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews
2013-present Israel Journal of Chemistry
2012-present Connective Tissue Research
2010-present Acta Biomaterialia
2007-present European Spine Journal
Referring for International Conferences
2015 10th World Biomaterial Congress (WBC2016)
2017 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) 2017 Conference
10. Sivan S. Correlation of swelling pressure, intra-fibrillar water and collagen tensile in young and aged human intervertebral discs. Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Eindhoven, The Netherlands, April, 2005.
11. Sivan S. Major biochemical components of the intervertebral disc, their turnover and some functional properties. Institut für Unfallchirurgische Forschung und Biomechanik, Universität Ulm, Germany, April, 2004.
2012-present ‘Development of affinity-based methods for the purification of lubricin’, with Prof. Maroudas Alice (Technion) and Prof. Azhari Rosa (ORT Braude College).
2008-present ‘A novel approach for targeted delivery at stent surface of in-situ produced drugs’, with Prof. Dinnar Uri, Prof. Lotan Noah (Technion) and Prof. Beyar Raphael (Rambam Medical Centre).
2008-2013 ‘Disc-degeneration linked pathologies: novel biomarkers and diagnostics for targeting, treatment, prevention and repair’, a participating scientist in the European Union-funded (FP7) consortium, Genodisc (with 10 labs throughout Europe).
2008-2013 ‘A micro osmometer for in-vivo and in-vitro measurement of glycoaminoglycans in intervertebral disc’, with Dr. Urban Jill (Oxford Universty) and Prof. Maroudas Alice (Technion).
2008-present ‘The molecular origin of lubrication in human joints’, with Prof. Maroudas Alice (Technion) and Prof. Klein Jacob (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel).
2008-present ‘Elastin – structure and function’, with Prof. Winlove Peter (University of Exeter, UK), Prof. Maroudas Alice (Technion, Dr. Schmelzer Chritian (Martin-Luther University, Germany) and Dr. Wachtel Ellen (Weizmann Institute of Science).
2006-present ‘Injectable glycosaminoglycan analogue implant for nucleus pulposus replacement’, with Prof. Tighe Brian (Aston University, UK), Prof. Roberts Sally (Keele University, UK) and Dr. Urban Jill (Oxford University, UK).
2006-2012 ‘High intensity ultrasound as a first step in the repair and replacement of nucleus pulposus in the intervertebral disc’, with Dr. Coussios Constantin and Dr. Urban Jocelyn (Oxford University, UK).
2006-present ‘Liposomes as effective biolubricants for friction reduction in human synovial joints’, with Prof. Barenholz Yechezkel (Hebrew University), Prof. Maroudas Alice (Technion) and Prof. Etsion Izhak (Technion).
2005-2007 ‘Effects of aggrecan on disc cells and sensory nerves’, with Prof. Roberts Sally (Keele University, UK).
2003-2005 ‘Intervertebral disc degeneration: Interplay of age, environmental and genetic factors’, a participating scientist in the European Union-funded (FP6) consortium, Eurodisc (with 7 labs throughout Europe).
2016-present Marie-Curie Alumni Association (MCAA)
2010-present Israel Society for Medical and Biological Engineering (ISMBE)
2005-2008 Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS)
2007 American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
1. Sivan S, Novel biomimetic glycosaminoglycan analogues for IVD repair: Replacing like with like. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomechanical Engineering (CMBBE) 2016. Tel-Aviv, September 2016.
2. Sivan S, Bio-inspired, enzymatically active, anti-restenotic/anti- thrombotic carrier. BIT’s 5th World Gene Convention-2014 (WGC- 2014), Theme: Olympic Campaign of New Biotechnology¸ Co-Chair: Path 6: Biocatalysis and biotransformation and scale up of bioprocesses, Haikou, China, November 2014.
3. Sivan S, Biomimetics for cartilage and disc repair (Keynote). Winner of the 2012 Marie-Curie Prize. Nicosia, Cyprus, November, 2012.
4. Sivan S, Sequential multi-factorial releasing scaffolds for tissue engineering: fabrication by the solvent/non-solvent sintering technology. 7th Israeli Chapter of Controlled Release Society, Haifa, October 2010.
5. Sivan S. Enzyme-based molecular logic systems. Annual Meeting Israeli Society of Medical and Biological Engineering, Tel Aviv, September 1993.